Austin Burke is a product of the region and of proud, hard-working immigrant ancestors. Burke has worked to record the pride of the populace, their creations and their celebrations through a series of paintings he produced over the past two decades.
Connect with Austin
St. Patrick’s Church, Original Steeple
St. Patrick’s Parish is the center of religious life for Roman Catholics in Hyde Park, Scranton, Pennsylvania. Established in 1875, mass was celebrated in a wood-frame church on Price Street. When the money was raised, the cornerstone was set at 1403 Jackson Street in 1883. The basement, or lower church was used for services in 1884; the upper church ;was consecrated in 1887 and completed in May, 1891. Its original steeple was a magnificent, monumental aspect of the edifice. Unfortunately, dangerous structural concerns dictated its removal in 1971, when it was replaced with a more modest, modern sculpture.
The parish established an orphanage in 1875 and a school, now called All Saints Academy, in 1887, staffed by the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.